Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go...

I realize that I haven't shared much about what my day-to-day work experience is like.  Typically it's a routine of loading kilns, helping students, mixing clay, mixing glazes, creating posters, photographing work, etc., etc.  Lately, however, it has been nothing but making molds.  Oval, square, rectangle, and round platter molds; tall and small cup molds; large, med, and small plate molds; and most recently I became the Chair of the Ceramics Department's assistant making, guess what?...MOLDS!  Yves Paquette (the Chair) was commissioned by SCAD to create a memorial for a student who passed away a few years ago at the new SCAD Museum of Art.  Based on the student's drawings, he is creating ceramic forms that will be installed on a wall that has a water feature.  Oh and did I mention this he only has a month to complete it?  Yeah, that's where I come in.  It's a really awesome experience, but really folks, how much mold making experience does one need?  I am almost positive that I have developed a love-hate relationship with plaster.  I decided to document some of the action and post it in a blog.  These two forms I photographed are two prototypes that Yves might use in the final product.

Creating walls with cottle boards and clamping them together

Readying the prototype and sealing the walls with clay
Poured plaster into cottle boards
Removing the prototype
Completed mold ready for clay

Disillusioned by plaster overload, I saw a ghostly face. It's kinda awesome. :)







2 comments: