Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Terra Sig and S.P.A.C.E. show

In undergrad, all of my work was high fire. Since being at SCAD, I have transitioned to using terra cotta/white earthenware. Recently, I have been admiring work from Amy Sanders and Elise Pincu, and decided that I should try my hand at making a terra sigillata. Terra sig is a mixture of the finest particles of clay and water. When you add it to greenware, burnish it slightly, and fire the clay, you have a satiny shine. I like the softness that terra sig gives a piece over the high intensity shine of a clear glaze. So I did some digging and found a fascinating article by Vince Pitelka detailing the ins and outs of terra sig, so I set about to work.

I found that I was very impatient regarding the setting time, but I left it alone for approximately 4 days. I will soon test the result in a kiln firing coming up to see if all my hard work paid off.

I have been at SCAD using the ceramics facilities because my studio has been freezing. I can't wait to move back in during the Spring, but for now SCAD works. I have found that I am very prolific when I come in and focus on the weekends. I've been investing about 25 hours each week, while maintaining the 40 hr job at SCAD. I've been trying to prepare for a show at Savannah's Place for Art, Culture, and Education (S.P.A.C.E.) Gallery in March that is rapidly approaching. Meanwhile, my work that is in The Gallery has been selling, so I need to restock. :-O!

No comments:

Post a Comment