Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Silk screening and stress tests

I'm going to try to squeeze in a quick blog before bed.  I just finished silk screening over 30 bags for a few holidays sales that I'm doing.  I am trying to get the hang of silk screening on 3-D forms, and it's been a little frustrating because I really don't know what I'm doing.  Honestly, it seems pretty simple in theory, but I decided to try printing on a flatter surface to get the hang of the technique.  It was wonderful.  I did all of these tonight.  (I will post images of the process later.)

 In other exciting news, I found a recipe for a cone 6 casting slip.  And so far, so good.  I'm going to have to experiment with glazes soon, but I did an absorption test and it weighed 200 grams before and after a night of soaking in water. That means the clay is vitreous, which in the world of all things functional, is a very good thing.

Another test I did was a stress (thermal shock) test.  I took the finished piece from extreme temperatures in a short amount of time.  First from boiling water in the microwave to freezing in my fridge.  This also was a success!  

I ordered some cone 6 glazes a few weeks ago, but my supplier experienced a fire.  I put another order in today, and hopefully it will make it here before too much of my vacation is over.  Now all I have to do is figure out how I'm going to get some glaze tests done, considering I have no slip cast work bisqued. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment